Welcome New Students
TRANSFER STUDENT FAQs
- How do I transfer credits from my previous school?
- Credit information is available on web-for-students. Approved courses that have been awarded
Program of Liberal Studies (PLS) waivers are identified in your online record. Transfer courses
will also be evaluated for major waiver by your major department chair. You'll be informed
of these waivers when you have your electronic advising meeting with your transfer adviser. Your credit status will also dictate your class standing. You will be notified of your adviser’s contact information after you have made your deposit. Your adviser will assist you in
selecting courses based on the transfer credits you received.
More information on the Program of Liberal Studies (PLS) courses.
If you have additional questions about credits, please contact Academic Advising at 508-793-7468.
- Why do I have to attend Orientation?
- Our Transfer Orientation program is different from the program first-year students attend. It is
specifically designed with your needs in mind offering programs that are pertinent to transfer
students. Our specialized program provides opportunities for you to receive focused attention
and guidance from staff, faculty and administrators. You will have the opportunity to meet and
interact with fellow transfer students as well as get acquainted with peers who have been specially
trained to advise transfer students.
- How was I assigned a Faculty Adviser?
- You are matched up with a Faculty Adviser (FA) according to the interest you expressed in a
particular academic field.
- Why did I only get .75 credit for my transfer class?
- Colleges and universities have a variety of ways in which credit is applied to courses. Some
institutions operate on a 3.0 credit per course system while others award 4.0 credits. Colleges also
may have different academic calendars that will impact the amount of credit a course will carry. At
Clark, we operate on a unit system where almost all courses carry 1.0 unit which is equivalent to 4.0
semester credits. The amount of transfer credit you received is based upon this formula. If you have questions prior to your arrival in January, please contact
Academic Advising at 508-793-7468.
- I took a class at a previous school that I feel should have fulfilled one of the perspective requirements at Clark. What do I do?
- Academic Advising makes all decisions regarding which classes from your previous institution will
fulfill Clark perspectives. If you feel a course merited a PLS waiver but did not receive one, please
email your request for a waiver review to Dean McKenna along
with a catalog description of the course.
- How many classes have I already completed for my major?
- Major waivers are decided by the chair of your department who will tell you which courses you
have fulfilled for your major. If you have specific questions about major credit, you may wish
to e-mail the chair of your major department. Explore
the complete list of departments.
- I just want to talk to someone. Whom should I contact?
- The Office of Student Leadership & Programming can assist you in answering any questions you
have about January Orientation. Feel free to contact us at 508-793-7549. Specific questions about
course credit should be directed to Dean McKenna.